3. Scaling & Monetisation
Last revision. 7th March 2022
This article usually gets a revision every few months as we progress, so it may not always be up to date.
To start answering this question:
- Revolt is already pretty efficient and can theoretically also scale both vertically and horizontally.
- Major problem areas have already been solved and progress is being made to further this.
- Revolt is also incredibly inexpensive to run, as of 7th March 2022, Revolt is currently still running on a bare-minimum cloud VPS.
I previously noted here that we were due an upgrade, but I am since going to revise that to say that the recent optimisation work has brought us below that threshold.
Now you may be asking how will Revolt be funded?
- We have a variety of monetisation ideas lined up internally, with these, it is not my intention for us to paywall features and I find it unlikely we would ever do that considering it would contradict what we're trying to achieve.
- We have amassed a significant amount of money from donations alone (~ £2k).
- Given the rate that we receive and spend money, it is unlikely we will suffer growing pains in the foreseeable future, we have a lot of room to grow in terms of operating costs.
- Given everything I've seen so far, it's likely some of the monetisation strategies we thought of are likely to succeed, some will also allow us to support community members who create awesome things.